|Overall score||Member only content|
|Ease of use (/10)||Member only content|
|Average user rating||Member only content|
Read what our members have to say close
To save money on essentials and make buying decisions easy, you can't go past Consumer. We're proud to have over 65,000 members all enjoying our independent information online or in Consumer magazine.
Here's what some of them say...
"Just wanted to let you know that I find your site excellent! Easy to find my way around, everything at my fingertips - just a click away.
I only took out a 3 month membership as I wasn't sure but it is actually really easy to use and if I want it on paper I can print the
reports. Thanks again".
Denise Watkinson - Waitakere
"My mother (74) got a renewal letter from her insurance company for her car insurance, wanting $570. After reading
your article on car insurance, I contacted one of the companies you recommended, who quoted her $318 for the same
level of cover. I just wanted to stay thank you very much for your article, as it has saved my mother a substantial amount of money".
Adrian Lane - Kapiti Coast
"I've been a member to the magazine since 1997 and enjoy reading it a lot. I've found lots of helpful information on different issues...
Thank you for being so helpful".
Peter Kovalenko - Porirua
"I have been a member of the Consumer NZ for 20 or more years and have enjoyed much reliable advice.
I turn to their tests before making significant purchases".
Lyndal Print – Auckland
Get full access to this report - Join now!
Enjoy access to
ALL Consumer reports
from just $28
- Over 500 reports plus interactive tools and calculators
- Independent advice from NZ's trusted source of information
- Join over 65,000 members who help us get all NZers a fairer deal
Buy this report
7 days' access
Guide to the table
Price is based on a March 2012 online price survey. My Sky HDi costs are a one-off $599 or $99 upfront and then $15 per month + other Sky subscription costs.
PVR = personal video recorder. EPG = electronic programme guide.
- Ease of use (45% of overall score for PVR models; 70% for non-PVR models)
- Recording (25%: applies to PVR models only)
- Picture (10%)
- Standby power use (10%)
- Sensitivity (5%)
- Sound (5%)
Click on the question mark symbols beside the headings for more information about ratings and features.
About our test
- All boxes were set to 1080i where possible.
- “Ease of use” was made up of nine sub-category scores that covered menus, setting-up, and connections. This included the ability to tune in the channels, find when shows were on, and how easy it was to use the remote control. Recording functions were tested where applicable.
- The “Picture” score for terrestrial models was based on the best HD service delivered.
- The “Picture” score for satellite models was based on either the best upscaled standard-definition (SD) picture or the best “regular” SD picture (from the composite video output). None were tested for HD pictures.
- The scoring for “Standby power use” is tough: up to 1W=10, above 10W=0. We consider 10W to be extremely high standby use.