|Overall score||Member only content|
|Calling and TXTing (/10)||Member only content|
|Availability||Member only content|
|Average user rating||Member only content|
Read what our members have to say close
To save money on essentials and make buying decisions easy, you can't go past Consumer. We're proud to have over 65,000 members all enjoying our independent information online or in Consumer magazine.
Here's what some of them say...
"Just wanted to let you know that I find your site excellent! Easy to find my way around, everything at my fingertips - just a click away.
I only took out a 3 month membership as I wasn't sure but it is actually really easy to use and if I want it on paper I can print the
reports. Thanks again".
Denise Watkinson - Waitakere
"My mother (74) got a renewal letter from her insurance company for her car insurance, wanting $570. After reading
your article on car insurance, I contacted one of the companies you recommended, who quoted her $318 for the same
level of cover. I just wanted to stay thank you very much for your article, as it has saved my mother a substantial amount of money".
Adrian Lane - Kapiti Coast
"I've been a member to the magazine since 1997 and enjoy reading it a lot. I've found lots of helpful information on different issues...
Thank you for being so helpful".
Peter Kovalenko - Porirua
"I have been a member of the Consumer NZ for 20 or more years and have enjoyed much reliable advice.
I turn to their tests before making significant purchases".
Lyndal Print – Auckland
Get full access to this report - Join now!
Enjoy access to
ALL Consumer reports
from just $28
- Over 500 reports plus interactive tools and calculators
- Independent advice from NZ's trusted source of information
- Join over 65,000 members who help us get all NZers a fairer deal
Buy this report
7 days' access
Guide to the table
Price is based on a survey of online retailers. Mobile phone prices change often and can vary according to their accompanying plans. Shop around to get the best prices. Note: most GSM mobile phones are no longer sold with SIM cards, so you will probably need to purchase one separately.
Telecom XT compatibility
In general, the technology used in the mobile phones we tested makes them all compatible with 2degrees and Vodafone's network, while only phones equipped with 850MHz 3G frequencies will work on Telecom's XT network. It's important to check the network compatibility before you buy. Also see our Mobile phones for rural use report, for more XT phone test results.
Outside our test
- Web browsing and email access: only on phones that had a display area of more than 18cm² and resolution of at least 240x320 pixels, data transfer over UMTS and WiFi, an email client and HTML browser, and a full keyboard (physical or virtual).
- Music player: only if the phone came with stereo headphones (wired or bluetooth), played MP3s, and had more than 1GB of memory – and if file transfer was possible via memory card or supplied USB cable.
- Camera and video (camcorder) quality: only if the camera resolution was more than 2MP and if the phone had more than 1GB of memory (including expandable memory such as a micro-SD card).
- GPS navigation: only on phones that had a real GPS receiver, maps software, and a display resolution of more than 240x320 pixels.
- Syncing with a computer: only if it was possible to sync the computer’s contacts (phone and email), calendar dates, emails, applications (downloads from app stores) as well as music, pictures and video (via USB and without additional software or internal shifting procedures). Contacts, email and calendars were all based on a Google account.