The first thing to consider is whether a laptop or desktop will best meet your needs:
Why buy a laptop?
- Portability. Laptops are light, portable, and take up less space than a desktop PC.
- Energy use. Laptops typically use less than 20 percent of the power of a desktop. Good for the power bill.
Why buy a desktop?
- Price. Desktops offer better performance at a lower price.
- Power. If you're into gaming or media applications using complex graphics, desktops usually have more power to handle them.
- Upgrading. If you want to improve the memory, graphics card, or other components, it's far easier (and cheaper) with a desktop.
- Ergonomics. A desktop is better than a laptop if you do a lot of computing or typing. Alternative ergonomic mice and keyboards are available.
If you decide a laptop meets your needs better than a desktop, see our separate Laptop report.
Get full access to this report - Join now!
Enjoy access to
ALL Consumer reports
from just $28
- Over 500 reports plus interactive tools and calculators
- Independent advice from NZ's trusted source of information
- Join over 65,000 members who help us get all NZers a fairer deal
Buy this report
7 days' access