FREE content in this report
We're compiling a list of rest homes which have had complaints investigated. Read more
Get full access to all Consumer reports for as little as $1.85 a week
- Over 500 reports plus interactive tools and calculators
- Independent advice from NZ's trusted source of information
- Join over 65,000 members who help us get all NZers a fairer deal
Enjoy access to this report for 7 days for $10.00
- Serious failings uncovered in a number of rest homes
- We're calling for mandatory reporting on key indicators of care
Rest home inspections reveal major shortfalls.
An Auckland rest home has finally been closed after two inspections found the manager was unable to safely manage an aged care facility. The home, Rathgar Court in Henderson, remained open for six months after an unannounced inspection by the Ministry of Health found major failings in care.
Reports released to Consumer under the Official Information Act show Rathgar Court is one of four homes that have had unannounced inspections in the past year. The inspection reports show shortfalls were identified at all the facilities. However, the most serious failings were at Rathgar Court.