Money   travel hero default

Change in regulator

From 1 April 2014, the Financial Markets Authority (FMA) has become the main regulator of unfair practices by providers of financial products and services.


Choose what’s right for you with confidence

Join today and get instant access to all test results and research.

This includes term deposits, shares and financial derivatives. Consumers who want to complain about misleading or deceptive conduct in relation to a financial product or service will need to go to the FMA.

Credit contracts and complaints concerning personal credit cards, loans and mortgages will still be handled by the Commerce Commission.

The Commerce Commission will also deal with cases of misleading or deceptive conduct in financial products or services that occurred before 1 April 2014.

The FMA already deals with a range of complaints about New Zealand’s financial markets – including illegal investment offers and unregistered financial providers. It also investigates complaints about brokers, issuers of investments, trustees, and financial advisers.

To report misconduct, make a complaint, or give the FMA a “tip-off” you can use its online form or mail the information to the Authority.

More information: