Who’s the clearest of them all? Which organisation best understands the need for clarity in communication?
The list of finalists in the 2014 Plain English Awards is out and the winners will be announced on 27 November.
This is the ninth year of the Consumer-sponsored Awards and there were 122 entries across 12 categories.
WriteMark Plain English Awards Trust chair Gregory Fortuin said the awards encourage organisations to show they care about communicating honestly and clearly.
"Making the effort to communicate in plain English can make a difference to the lives of many people," Mr Fortuin said.
The finalists are:
Plain English Champion — Best Organisation
Plain English Champion — Best Individual or Team
- Inland Revenue — Lindsay Botham
- Ministry of Social Development — Sarah Moodie
- StudyLink — StudyLink Service Support Team
Best Plain English Document — Public Sector / Non-Government Organisation (NGO)
- Commerce Commission — Know your rights as a consumer brochure
- NZ On Air — Statement of Intent 2014–2018
- The Open Polytechnic of New Zealand — Get Ahead Skills: My Planning My Preparation: Workbook
Best Plain English Document — Private Sector
- Mercer (NZ) Limited — Annual Member Benefit Statement
- Skills Active Aotearoa — Information Sheets
- Woods Creative Limited — PowerSmart DLE brochure and owner’s manual
Best Plain English Website — Public Sector / Non-Government Organisation (NGO)
- Careers New Zealand
- Commerce Commission
- Ministry of Education
Best Plain English Website — Private Sector
- Mercer (NZ) Limited
- Woods Creative Limited
- WooHoo NZ Tax Refunds
- Best Plain English Sentence Transformation
- Internal Affairs — sentence from website
- Statistics New Zealand — sentence from Income tables [web page]
- Xero — sentence from Tax Rates
Best Plain English Technical Communicator
- Janet Green, Risk and Assurance team, Ministry of Social Development
- Kylie McGrath, Xero
- Laura Southgate, Xero
- Ros Black, Xero
Best Plain English Annual Report
- Beef + Lamb New Zealand — Annual Report 2012–2013
- Mercer (NZ) Limited — Annual Report
Best Plain English Turnaround
- MAS — MAS Motor Vehicle Insurance
- MAS — MAS House and Contents Insurance
- Spark New Zealand — Call Minder
People’s Choice — Best Plain English Communication In this category, we can’t tell you who the finalist is. There’s only one, so we would be giving away the winner! All will be revealed at the Awards ceremony on 27 November.
People’s Choice — Worst ‘Brainstrain’ Communication
- Air New Zealand — Important Notices
- Earthquake Commission — Email about a simple repair job that hadn’t been sorted after 3 years (and 3 months)