Update: MPI have issued an updated recall notice on 22 January 2016, excluding the following batches from the recall which have been released for sale:
- Fruzio Mixed Berry 1kg and 500g products with expiry or Use By dates after 8 October 2018 and products with a Use By date of 7 May 2018.
- Fruzio IQF Strawberry 1 kg bag products with expiry or Use By dates after 8 September 2018 and products with a Use By date of 21 November 2017.
- Fruzio IQF Blackberry 1 kg bag products with expiry or Use By dates after 8 September 2018.
- Fruzio IQF 3 Mixed Berry 1 kg bag products with expiry or Best Before dates after 17 November 2018 and products with an expiry date of 21 November 2017.
MPI has recalled Fruzio blackberries, strawberries, mixed berries and three berry mix. These recalls follow MPI’s investigation of the link between imported frozen berries and four cases of hepatitis A. Their investigation is ongoing and they have not ruled out the possibility of further recalls.
Elderly people and those with chronic liver damage are advised to avoid all frozen berries that have not been heated for at least a minute at over 85°C.
The products are:
- Fruzio Mixed Berries, 1kg and 500g (strawberries and blackberries), expiry date up to and including 7 October 2018.
- Fruzio IQF Strawberries, 1kg, expiry date up to and including 8 September 2018.
- Fruzio IQF Blackberries, 1kg, expiry date up to and including 8 September 2018.
- Fruzio IQF 3 Berry Mix, 1kg (blackberries, strawberries and blueberries), expiry date up to and including 17 November 2018.
They were sold frozen in plastic packets from Pak’n Save, New World, Four Square and Gilmours stores throughout New Zealand.
What to do
Customers should throw away their berries or return the product to their retail store for full refund. Please call the MPI helpline on 0800 00 83 33 with any questions.
If you have health concerns, call the Ministry of Health’s Healthline on 0800 61 11 16.