Recalls hero default

Recall: LED light hand spinner fidget toy

×

Choose what’s right for you with confidence

Join today and get instant access to all test results and research.

Join Consumer Now

The problem

Southern Cross Promotions Ltd has recalled its LED light hand spinner fidget toys. The toys do not have a secured battery compartment. Young children could gain access to the button batteries and ingest them. This could cause internal burn injuries, which can result in serious illness and even death. The batteries can also pose a choking hazard.

Details

The LED light model is affected. 2482 units were sold through Nitrous Spinner Kiosks between May 10th and May 22nd at Westfield Albany, St Lukes and Manakau malls in Auckland; Sylvia Park mall in Auckland and Bayfair mall in Tauranga.

What to do

Return the product to the Nitrous Spinner Kiosk where purchased for a full refund or exchange for an alternate product.

For more information, contact Southern Cross Promotions Ltd on 0800 550 551 or email ledspinnerrecall@gmail.com.

Information provided by Product Recalls — part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.

The damage a button battery can do


Our Australian sister organisation, Choice, conducted this test as part of a campaign to get the government to tighten the law around the sale of button batteries.

Button batteries are coin-sized batteries common in a wide variety of devices including remote controls, singing Christmas cards, bathroom scales and car keys. When these batteries come in contact with bodily fluids an electric current is created. This leads to the production of hydroxide which is caustic and in turn this can result in tissue necrosis, serious throat damage (such as permanent loss of voice) or in extreme cases has proven fatal.

Trading Standards (as part of Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment) is engaged in an international collaboration, with the US, Australia, Japan and Korea, which is looking at possible longer term options to address the risks.

Safety tips

  • If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, immediately call the National Poisons Centre on 0800 764 766 or go to a hospital emergency room. Do not let the child eat or drink, and do not induce vomiting.
  • Keep all disc battery operated devices out of sight and out of reach of children.
  • Examine devices and make sure the battery compartment is secure.
  • Dispose of used button batteries immediately. Flat batteries can still be dangerous.
  • Tell others about the risk associated with button batteries, and how to keep their children safe.

WANT TO SEE MORE STUFF LIKE THIS? LIKE US ON FACEBOOK OR SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE.

Archive promo default

News, opinion and recalls

Want to see more articles like this? See our full lists of news, opinion and recalls.

Read more