Microsoft has recalled their AC power cords for Microsoft Surface Pro, Microsoft Surface Pro 2, and some Microsoft Surface Pro 3 devices. The cords can become damaged if bent or tightly wrapped, which means they could overheat and cause a fire or electric shock.
The cords being recalled are those sold before 15 July 2015.
The recall doesn't apply to:
- AC power cords for Microsoft Surface RT, Microsoft Surface 2, Microsoft Surface 3, Microsoft Surface Pro 3 devices sold after 15 July 2015, Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and Microsoft Surface Book
- Power supplies with DC power cord for all devices
- AC power cords and power supplies for the docking stations for Microsoft Surface Pro, Microsoft Surface Pro 2, Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and Microsoft Surface 3
What to do
Request a replacement through Microsoft's website. You'll need to sign in at the bottom of the page, verify your information, and select your product.
- Microsoft will provide one AC power cord replacement free of charge for each eligible Surface Pro device that you own. No proof of damage is required to receive a replacement AC power cord.
- If you have more than one Surface Pro device, you’ll need to submit a replacement order for each one.
If you require further information, please call Microsoft on 0800 002298.