Thousands of children have been told to throw out the teddy bear they were given while sick in hospital.
Phil & Teds is recalling 15,300 bears because of a complaint to the Commerce Commission. Subsequent tests found the toys do not comply with the mandatory toy standard as fuzz could come away from the bears and the seams could split, exposing the filling material. Children could then choke on the filling.
No children had choked on stuffing from the bears, which were imported from China.
The bears were given to young patients in Wellington, Christchurch and Waikato hospitals between 2010 and 2015. Parents are being urged to throw out the bear.
The bears wear a hospital gown with ‘phil&teddy’ on the front and ‘phil&teds’ on the back.
For more information, call 0800 119 437 or visit the company’s website.