- Switch to a low-rate card if your credit card debt is in the thousands. You may not even need to change banks. See 'Low-rate cards' (below) for more details.
- Rewards programmes are a trap if you're in debt on your card. The higher fees and interest rates associated with a card that has a rewards programme will most likely outweigh the dollar value of any rewards.
- Work out a budget. Locate any spare money that you currently don't think you have and put it to work paying off your card debt. (There are local budgeting services that can help you free of charge.)
- Pay in full - partial payment means you're paying interest. You’re also likely to be charged interest on any new purchases you put on your card and on any fees owing. On top of this, some banks will even charge interest on interest when you don’t pay off your monthly balance.
- Pay by direct debit. Clear your whole debt in full every month by direct debit and you don't have to remember a thing. Set it up with your bank.