Deborah Garrett got Ruby, her border collie, when the pup was four months old. A week later, Deborah discovered the half-eaten shell of a nut from her macadamia tree on the lawn. As these nuts are poisonous to dogs, she rushed Ruby to the vet.
The vet put drops in Ruby’s eyes to make her vomit. To Deborah’s relief, there was no sign of the nut. False alarm. But Deborah later ran into difficulties getting comprehensive cover for Ruby. “When I told the insurer about my visit to the vet, it said it wouldn’t cover Ruby for poisonings or neurological disorders for the first 12 months.”
Deborah felt the insurer’s reaction was “like cracking a nut with a hammer”. So she turned to another provider, which was willing to fully cover Ruby (despite the macadamia nut episode) as well as her two siamese cats.
In the past year, Deborah has made two claims, most recently when her cat Tao snapped his tooth. “That cost about $1100 in vet bills and I got $800 back from the insurer, so I was glad I had cover.”