Car insurance

We'll help you choose the right cover at the right price.

Happy man and woman in car.

Our survey of car insurers found you can make substantial savings by switching. Every time you get your annual renewal notice, take the time to check if you’re better off switching companies. We found it could save you more than $400 a year on comprehensive cover.

We've surveyed 10 car insurance policies.

Compare policies Join Consumer Log in

Our insurance satisfaction survey also tells you which company has the most satisfied customers – and which ones score lowest.

If you're not in need of comprehensive cover, check out our survey of third-party only and third-party fire and theft premiums.

How should you choose a car insurer? We recommend the following steps:

  • Look at what you’re paying. Then check our policy database to see how your insurer’s prices compare with other companies’.

  • Check out insurers’ customer satisfaction scores. We’ve got scores for 13 companies from our survey of more than 5000 Consumer NZ members.

  • Consider bang for buck. Our policy database lets you compare the cover offered by 10 comprehensive car insurance policies.

  • Get quotes from at least three insurers. The price you get depends on your age, gender, car, driving history and where you live.

  • Take the time to read the policy before signing up. The worst time to discover the limitations of a policy is after you make a claim.

Woman in car holding car key out the window.

Car insurance buying guide

Here's what you need to know before purchasing a policy.

Read the guide