Who we are
Established in 1959, Consumer NZ is an independent, non-profit organisation dedicated to getting New Zealanders a fairer deal.
What we do
- Test products and services, and recommend which we think are best
- Investigate issues we reckon consumers need to know more about
- Mystery shop and survey to keep businesses honest
- Advise thousands of consumers about their rights and how to exercise them
- Campaign to get laws and regulations changed to benefit consumers
- Recommend businesses you can trust
How we test
We commission independent laboratories to carry out our product tests. We also belong to Consumers International which means we can draw on experience and information from consumer organisations around the world.
How we’re funded
Our work is primarily funded via membership. Consumers who pay to access our member-only information and advice, also help fund our research, investigations and campaigns aimed at helping all New Zealanders get a fairer deal. Other funds are sourced from business programmes and contract work, mostly with government agencies. We also rely on donations.