Construction Contracts Act

This Act deals with payments due under construction contracts.

Types of contract hero

Find out what your rights and responsibilities are and how to use the adjudication process under the Act if you have a dispute about payments.

Purpose of the Act

The Construction Contracts Act 2002 came into force on 1 April 2003. The purpose of the Act is to provide a process for deciding what payments have to be made under a construction contract and when they are due. When you enter into a contract with a builder to build your house, you have to comply with some sections of the Act.

The Act also provides quick and simple procedures to resolve disputes about money due under construction contracts.

What sort of work is covered by the Act?

Want to read the full article?

  • Heaps of buying advice so you can choose with confidence
  • Independent reviews of thousands of products and services
  • Personal advice an email or phone call away on our advice line (members only).

Payment schedules in contracts

What happens if you fail to pay?


How to start an adjudication

The adjudication process


Building articles

Renovating articles

Home maintenance

Member comments

Get access to comment