We chose ten products available at The Warehouse, as well as at fourteen New World, Countdown and PAK’nSAVE stores proximate to The Warehouse locations now trialling fresh produce.
These products were:
- Wattie's Baked Beans In Tomato Sauce 3 Pack
- Persil Front Top Loader Laundry Powder Sensitive 4kg Box
- Moccona Classic Medium Roast Instant Freeze Dried Coffee Jar 100g
- Coca Cola Classic Bottle 1.5L
- Old El Paso Stand N Stuff Kit 10 Pack 295g
- Griffin's Squiggles Hokey Pokey 215g
- King's Choice Highland Basmati Aromatic Long Grain Rice 1kg
- Molenberg Bread Original Toast 700g
- Bluebird Originals Potato Chips Ready Salted 150g
- Sanitarium Weet-Bix Breakfast Cereal 1.2kg
This list of products was selected to allow for like for like comparisons across stores, and is not designed to be representative of a household or family shop. Branded products are used to avoid making comparisons between fresh produce which can vary in brand and pricing structure across retailers.
Product prices are also shown without promotions, so it is possible that consumers could find better value through ‘2 for 1’ deals. For example, at times in our survey, the bottle of Coca Cola was available on a 2 for $5.50 deal at PAK’nSAVE Westgate.
Prices at both New World and at Countdown fluctuated little, with no consistent patterns relative to The Warehouse.