19aug baby and toddler hero default

Baby and toddler

×

Choose what’s right for you with confidence

Join today and get instant access to all test results and research.

Join Consumer Now

Introduction

From baby monitors to bassinets, it's important to purchase the right products to suit your family — and to make sure they're safe. We give you the low down on what to look out for and what to avoid.

The damage a button battery can do


Our Australian sister organisation, Choice, conducted this test as part of a campaign to get the government to tighten the law around the sale of button batteries.

Button batteries are coin-sized batteries common in a wide variety of devices including remote controls, singing Christmas cards, bathroom scales and car keys. When these batteries come in contact with bodily fluids an electric current is created. This leads to the production of hydroxide which is caustic and in turn this can result in tissue necrosis, serious throat damage (such as permanent loss of voice) or in extreme cases has proven fatal.

Trading Standards (as part of Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment) is engaged in an international collaboration, with the US, Australia, Japan and Korea, which is looking at possible longer term options to address the risks.

Safety tips

  • If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, immediately call the National Poisons Centre on 0800 764 766 or go to a hospital emergency room. Do not let the child eat or drink, and do not induce vomiting.
  • Keep all disc battery operated devices out of sight and out of reach of children.
  • Examine devices and make sure the battery compartment is secure.
  • Dispose of used button batteries immediately. Flat batteries can still be dangerous.
  • Tell others about the risk associated with button batteries, and how to keep their children safe.

WANT TO SEE MORE STUFF LIKE THIS? LIKE US ON FACEBOOK OR SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE.

First Look reviews

Here’s what our product experts thought of these products.

Baby walkers

We strongly advise against putting your child in a baby walker, whether it meets a safety standard or not.

Because babies in walkers are much more mobile, and can move faster than a parent often expects, they can get into dangerous situations. Most injuries associated with baby walkers are caused by falls down steps, scalds, burns and poisonings from household chemicals.

Some parents believe a baby walker will help a child learn to walk. Safekids, the national child-injury prevention service, says babies don’t need baby walkers: “Time on their tummies rolling, crawling and stretching on the floor is what babies need for development."

Our view

  • You shouldn’t put your child in a baby walker.

  • There needs to be more information about the risks of baby walkers and the safety requirements. Some suppliers aren’t even aware there is a mandatory standard.

  • The nationwide chain Farmers has a policy of not selling baby walkers. We’d like to see other retailers following its example.